Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches Data Sheet
The Cisco® Catalyst® 4500 Series Switches enable Borderless Networks, providing high performance, mobile, and secure user experiences through Layer 2-4 switching investments. They enable security, mobility, application performance, video, and energy savings over an infrastructure that supports resiliency, virtualization, and automation. Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches provide borderless performance, scalability, and services with a reduced total cost of ownership (TCO) and superior investment protection.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 has a centralized forwarding architecture that enables collaboration, virtualization, and operational manageability through simplified operations. With forward and backward compatibility spanning multiple generations, the new Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series provides exceptional investment protection and deployment flexibility to meet the evolving needs of organizations of all sizes. The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series platform has 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) uplinks and supports Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) and Universal PoE (UPOE), enabling customers to future proof their network.
E-Series chassis come in four different form factors: 3-slot (4503-E), 6-slot (4506-E), 7-slot (4507R+E), and 10-slot (4510R+E). 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R+E, and 4510R+E chassis are extremely flexible and support either 24 or 48 Gbps per line-card slot. Integrated resiliency in the Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series includes 1 + 1 supervisor engine redundancy (10-slot and 7-slot chassis only), redundant fans, software-based fault tolerance, and 1 + 1 power supply redundancy. Integrated resiliency in both hardware and software minimizes network downtime, helping to ensure workforce productivity, profitability, and customer success.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series extends control to the network edge with intelligent network services, including sophisticated quality of service (QoS), predictable performance, advanced security, comprehensive management, and integrated resiliency. Scalability of these intelligent network services is made possible with dedicated, specialized resources known as ternary content-addressable memory (TCAM). Ample TCAM resources (up to 384,000 entries) enable “high feature capacity”, which provides wire-speed routing and switching performance independent of provisioning of services such as QoS and security.
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Fixed 10 Gigabit Ethernet Aggregation Switch Data Sheet
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches Product Overview:
Cisco® Catalyst® 4500-X Series Switch (Figure 1) is a fixed aggregation switch that delivers best-in-class scalability, simplified network virtualization, and integrated network services for space-constrained environments in campus networks. It meets business growth objectives with unprecedented scalability, simplifies network virtualization with support for one-to-many (Cisco Easy Virtual Networks [EVN]) and many-to-one (Virtual Switching System [VSS]) virtual networks, and enables emerging applications by integrating many network services.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series offers key innovations, including:
- Platform Scalability: Delivers up-to 800 Gbps of switching capacity, capable of scaling up to 1.6-Tbps capacity with the VSS technology. Future-proof investment with modular uplink and auto-detect 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- High Availability: Delivers the network availability demanded by business-critical enterprise applications through comprehensive high-availability capabilities, including VSS and EVN. Furthermore, innovative features such as redundant hot swappable fans and power supplies with AC to DC, and DC to AC failover remove single point of failure in network.
- Application Monitoring: Enhanced application monitoring through Flexible Netflow and eight ports of line rate bidirectional Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN)/Remote Switched Port Analyzer (RSPAN). In addition Cisco IOS® XE Software provides the ability to host third-party applications.
- Security: Support for Cisco TrustSec™ technology as well as robust control plane policing (CoPP) to address denial of service attacks.
- Simplified Operations: Support for Smart Install Director, providing a single point of management enabling zero-touch deployment for new switches and stacks in campus and branch networks.
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switch Family
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series provides scalable, fixed-campus aggregation solutions in space-constrained environments. The solution provides flexibility to build desired port density through two versions of base switches along with an optional network module, providing line-rate 10GE capability. Both the 32-port and 16-port versions can be configured with optional network modules and offer similar features. The Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (SFP+) interface supports both 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing customers to use their investment in 1 Gigabit Ethernet SFP and upgrade to 10 Gigabit Ethernet when business demands change, without having to do a comprehensive upgrade of the existing deployment. The uplink module is hot-swappable.
Following are key offerings from this product family:
- 32 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port switch with optional module slot (Figure 1)
- 16 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port switch with optional module slot (Figure 2)
- 8 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port uplink module (Figure 3)
Figure 1. 32 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port Switch with Optional Uplink Module Slot
Figure 2. 16 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port Switch with Optional Uplink Module Slot
Figure 3. 8 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet Port Uplink Module
In addition, both 32 port and 16 port versions are available with front-to-back and back-to-front airflow. The front‑to‑back airflow switch comes with matching burgundy color fan and power supply handle to indicate warm side. Similarly, back-to-front airflow switch fan and power supply handles are color-coded in blue to indicate cool side. Figure 5 and Figure 6 show rear view of the switch with front-to-back and back-to-back airflow respectively.
Figure 4. Front-to-Back Airflow Rear View
Figure 5. Back-to-Front Airflow Rear View
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X switch provides redundant hot-swappable fans and power supplies for the highest resiliency with no single point of failure.
Figure 6. Redundant Fan and Power Supply
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Switch Series Feature Highlights
Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switch provides nonblocking 10 Gigabit Ethernet per port bandwidth and Cisco IOS Flexible NetFlow for optimized application visibility. In addition to this, the enterprise-class Cisco Catalyst 4500-X offers the following:
- Performance and scalability
- 800-Gbps switching capacity with up to 250 Mpps of throughput
- External USB and SD card support for flexible storage options
- 10/100/1000 RJ-45 console and management port
- IPv6 support in hardware, providing wired-network-rate forwarding for IPv6 networks and support for dual stack with innovative resource utilization
- Dynamic hardware forwarding-table allocations for ease of IPv4-to-IPv6 migration
- Scalable routing (IPv4, IPv6, and multicast) tables, Layer 2 tables, and ACL and quality of service (QoS) entries to make use of eight queues per port and comprehensive security policies per port
- Infrastructure services
- Cisco IOS XE Software, the modular open application platform for virtualized borderless services
- Maximum resiliency with redundant components, Nonstop Forwarding/Stateful Switchover (NSF/SSO), and In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) support in a VSS enabled system
- Network virtualization through Multi-VRF technology for Layer 3 segmentation
- Automation through Embedded Event Manager (EEM), Cisco Smart Call Home, AutoQoS, and Auto SmartPorts for fast provisioning, diagnosis, and reporting
- Cisco Borderless Networks services
- Optimized application performance through deep visibility with Flexible NetFlow supporting rich Layer 2/3/4 information (MAC, VLAN, TCP flags) and synthetic traffic monitoring with IP service-level agreement (SLA)
- Medianet capabilities to simplify video quality of service, monitoring, and security. In addition, multicast features such as Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) and Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) provide enterprise customers with the additional scalability to support multimedia applications
- Investment protection and reduced TCO
- Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series eliminates the need for standalone solutions by integrating many network services. Customers can lower the total cost of ownership while streamlining management and accelerating deployment time. Integrated network services available on Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series include:
- Application visibility and control (Flexible NetFlow, Cisco IOS Embedded Event Manager)
- Security with Cisco TrustSec
- Troubleshooting video or any User Datagram Protocol-based flows (Mediatrace)
- Video network readiness assessment (built-in traffic simulator with IP SLA Video Operation)
- Ability to run third-party applications (Wireshark)
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Chassis
The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series offers four chassis options and four supervisor engine options. It provides a common architecture that can scale up to 388 ports. The Cisco Catalyst redundant R+E chassis offer high availability by supporting 1 + 1 redundant supervisor engines with subsecond failover time and full-image In-Service Software Upgrades (ISSUs). Nonstop forwarding with stateful switchover (NSF/SSO) and ISSU help ensure continuous packet forwarding during supervisor engine switchover to help ensure high availability for collaboration applications and voice over IP (VoIP). Using the same line cards as the widely deployed Cisco Catalyst 4000 Series Switches and classic Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches, the Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series furthers Cisco’s commitment to affordable enterprise and branch-office scalability.
You may also need:
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches Data Sheet
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Select Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Chassis
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Select Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Chassis.pdf
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst C4500E Series
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst C4500E Series.pdf
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switch Data Sheet
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switch Data Sheet.pdf
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches Support
- Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches
- Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Fixed 10 Gigabit Ethernet Aggregation Switch Data Sheet
- Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Fixed 10 Gigabit Ethernet Aggregation Switch Data Sheet.pdf
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches
- End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches.pdf
- Annonce d’arrêt de commercialisation et de fin de vie de Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches
- Annonce d’arrêt de commercialisation et de fin de vie de Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches.pdf